Passion is the energy of your heart, the fuel of your life. It is the combustion of energy, emotion, and focus and it is at the core of people who shine. Passion is also an emotional state of mind. It drives you to engage and to perform at an outstanding level. Passion gives you the tenacity to persevere when others would quit or play small. Passion makes you consider more. Dare more. Be more. Live more. It allows you to make mistakes and move forward against difficult odds. Passion is unlimited energy and it positions you to achieve extraordinary results.
When you realize that mediocrity makes up 72% of the people in most normal organizations, you come to realize that when you awaken the passion in your people, you have a secret weapon in your toolbox. You know that most people in the room will not play full out. Most will not be willing to put forth the extra effort nor push themselves into unfamiliar territory. They are unwilling to challenge things in search of better ways. Everyone has passion but many of us are too afraid (or can’t remember how) to tap into it.
Steve Jobs said this about work: “The only way to do great work is to love what you do. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle.”
How to awaken our passion? Passion is not something you have to create. It is something that already exists within you and just needs to be unleashed.
Here are the best ways to tap into your passion:
- Work for people who have passion for what they are doing. If you work for a boss that lacks passion, they will generally limit yours.
- Avoid passion killers in all walks of your life. Sometimes you just have to fire people. Personally and professionally.
- Understand what inspires you, not just what may make you successful. When your work is fulfilling, your passion naturally comes alive and your life is not a struggle.
- Use your passion as a motivator. Understand why you are here and how your work supports the bigger purpose. This will allow you to lead yourself and others more effectively. Why is at the heart of why people care. Know your WHY!
- Your passion aligns with what you value. Together, they are the light that shines off in the distance and calls to you, helping you when you lose our way.
- Make work fun! You don’t need a fun committee(though I was once asked to lead one). Take the lead and just try having some fun! Laugh often and don’t be afraid to laugh loudly. Others will begin to wonder what they are missing.
- Try new things. Dare to step out of your comfort zone and experience the many facets of life. Stop doing the same boring things and expecting to feel different!
- Never let others tell you that your energy needs to be contained or is a problem for you. Use it to your advantage. This is not to say that obnoxious behavior is acceptable, just that energy is life.
- Know that passion is your sword. Regardless of your life events, you can live with passion in a moment’s notice. Just decide to live with passion. Do it now!
# Culture #Passion #Leadership #Tips #Meetings #Productivity #Work